Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Plums....everywhere!


Long time no post...but we have enjoyed this amazing summer that Alaska had this year!

Recently, I have come into some plums...for free...

Now I can't resist getting free food, and can't really think of anyone who can. So I took the plums home and made plum jam!


I cut out the stone and cut each plum into about 8 pieces. Sticky work, but isn't the color awesome! Love the color of these plums.

I put the plums in the pot with some lemon juice and some sugar and began stirring. And stirring. And stirring.

Then I got impatient and decided they were done. I put them in jars and a water bath for about 15 minutes. 

The plum jam may have turned into more of a thick sauce due to my impatience. I've made this before with better success, but I should have waited until it was more of a honey consistency. Oops! It still tastes great and will be fantastic on ice cream. So I still count it as a win.

Here is the recipe I used:
8 cups of plums
3 1/2 cups of sugar 
4 TBSP of lemon juice

Cook, stirring consistently until the plums become a honey like consistency. Then put them in sterilized jars and give them a boiling bath for about 15 minutes.

I have more plums....lots more so I'll probably freeze them and then make more jam...maybe even a salsa!

Are you preserving any food lately?

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...