Monday, January 5, 2015

Easy peasy curry chicken

Recently I've been trying to make more dinners at home. Andy and I are terrible at just going out to eat, which doesn't really help the pocketbook or the waistline. I've made it 4 days in a row making dinner...which is a world record I think. Don't laugh this is serious business!
My most recent dinner was something we grew up eating. Our parents would make a version of this and it was always one of my favorites. I could probably eat curry every day and feel okay about it...and in my opinion curry powder makes almost every dish better. My dad would even make this dish for the entire girls swim team every year in college. SO GOOD!

Now, this is how I make it. My mom and dad probably make it differently, but not that much:)

Here's what you're gonna need:
Curry powder--stuff from the grocery store
1 Onion
1-3 cloves of garlic
1 can of cream of mushroom soup--condensed
2 chicken breasts
Rice

What you'll do is cut up the onion and garlic and make them sweat...get em cooking!

Once they've gotten sort of translucent add your curry powder. I like my curry spicier so I add more curry. I put about 1 Tablespoon in at least....I never measure, just dump!

Let the onions/garlic/curry mixture cook for awhile--about 3-4 minutes.
Add the soup and about half a can of water. Mix it well and keep it at about medium heat.

While I'm doing the curry part, I cook and cube up the chicken. Of if I'm really lazy I open up a can of chicken. It works.

After the soup is mixed into the onion mixture really well. Add the chicken. Let it cook for about another 5 minutes on medium.

Oh did I mention you should have put your rice on earlier...yeah do that too. Or pop some instant rice in the microwave. Once again, it works....don't judge.


The fun part about this type of curry is that you can put all kinds of toppings on it. Toppings? Yes, toppings. Toppings to this curry can and should include at least three of the following:
bananas
mandarin oranges
raisins
peanuts
coconut
tomatoes
avacado
green onion
cucumber
mushrooms
the kitchen sink
whatever you have in your fridge or pantry
Don't like to mix your food? I've known plenty of people who love to keep their food groups separate, but once convinced...never eat this curry without toppings.

Now eating...spoon curry over rice, put on toppings and eat this deliciousness of a meal. 


Let me know what you think!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...