Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Random Acts of Craftiness: Backgammon Anyone?

I found this blog that I really like...his-and-hers-blog.blogspot.com...Erin, the "Her" of the blog makes me laugh all the time. Anyways, she has this link up party each month called:
(click to check out the other cool crafts!)
This is actually the first month...but back to whats what...each month she announces something that you have to use in your craft. And its got to be original...no copying from Pintrest here!
This month it was game pieces. And we couldn't use scrabble. We could manipulate the pieces anyway we wanted.

I went to good ol' Value Village a couple of time scouring the game aisle and couldn't think of a thing, until I found this beauty:
5 bucks and she was mine. Now, I have absolutely not a clue how to play Backgammon, but have always been drawn to the pattern it makes. I remember playing with the set my parents had when I was little...mostly making patterns with the pieces:) 

I ripped her apart...I wanted the the board pattern.

I also ripped off the front velvety fabric...and the pleather.
and then I got stuck!
I thought about making the following:
a pouch
a bunting/banner
a book cover
scrapping the whole thing
coasters
a rocket to the moon

I tried the pouch...it didn't work
I didn't have any books to cover
I didn't want to give up
coasters are boring and I have too many
I didn't think my rocket ship would last.

so...I cut circles out of the backgammon board, velvety fabric and pleather...and started making the bunting....which would have gone into the:
“What the $*%#@ is That?!”
Random Acts of Craftiness Fail Club

but I persevered

and

made

a

wreath!
Which I really like, but my door is purple...so it is currently searching for a home in my house.

The overall effect is pretty snazzy in my opinion, and it only cost five bucks!
I really like this challenge because it's super easy to fall into a copy craft mode and this made me think outside the box!

Be sure to go and check out the other creations...just follow the button up top!

Sarah

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm going to..but it's kinda cold here and has been raining FOREVER, so I don't think the paint will dry! Plus I don't know what color to paint it...any suggestions?

      Delete
  2. I'm just dying to know what you're going to do with the case?!?
    Your wreath is lovely as well as creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...the maroon fabric is from the case...so I kinda destroyed it. But I still have the hardware and the buckle. I was thinking about making it into some kind of tray, but haven't done anything with it yet!

      Delete
  3. Very cute! I love a good wreath project :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, nice. I'd never guess the chic wreath's origin. And you know that piece is unique to your home. Very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one of the most unique wreaths I have ever seen!! And what are you going to do with the case. Such a fun upcycle!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun!! I'd never guess it was made out of a game! The backgammon definitely makes a nice pattern. Thanks so much for participating!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a great challange...Im looking forward to next month!

      Delete
  7. That is really cool. It is sorta 50s retro looking.. Reminds me of a paint job on those old chevys and cadillacs. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love how classy it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's darling! I like the pattern. Great idea!

    Thanks for participating!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally snazzy! I never would've guessed that it was from backgammon (which is a good thing, I think.) I bet you could do something cool with the rest of the case too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting. My daughter made herself a back gammon board for a county fair project. Her twist on it was -- she made the pieces and board with velcro, so she would play it in the car on the way to visit her sister and niece and nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!!!! Your link picture just showed the gameboard and I thought "what has she done with this". Wow, wow, wow. I think it's a terrific way to use these. You'd never know it was a game board. Well done. And yes, paint the door.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! What a great idea. I like that you wouldn't guess it was from a board game at all!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...