Friday, May 4, 2012

Frugalista Friday: Crafting Supplies

My list for today is all about crafting/sewing/making things...
you know the things you would  buy at Joann's....except I don't go there that often!
Here we go. My tips on getting some grrrrr-eat crafty stuff, nice and cheap.

1. Hit up the local thrift store: If you've been reading this blog for a while you'll know that Value Village is probably my favorite store. I really like some of the more off path thrift store as well....but to get to the point. Look for your crafting item at the thrift store first. Seriously. I've gotten buttons, hoops, yarn, fabric, Velcro, recyclable items (sweaters) for significantly less than I would have paid at Joann's. For example: 
Velcro was $.25
Buttons were $1.00 
Yarn was $.50 for wool
Now, although I may be obsessed with buttons...yes I admit I have a problem...take a look at these buttons. At a craft store they would cost upwards of 5 dollars for 4 of them. Plus with the button grab-bag you never know what you're gonna get!

So, if you wanna save some money...hit up the thrift stores when you're starting your next project.

2. Garage Sales: My favorite garage sales are the ones where a quilter or another crafty person is getting rid of the majority of their stash. If you find one of these you've hit the jackpot. They are usually willing to give you a deal, cause they are downsizing. I've gotten some fantastic fabric at sales like this that would have cost me hundreds of dollars at a fabric store for less than fifty.

3. Steal from your sisters stash...well not steal, but check out others creative stuff. Most of us have too much anyways and are usually willing to let go of something or will swap.

4. If you must go to the craft store....use coupons. And competitors coupons. If you have an IPhone...get the app. You usually can combine or use more than one coupon per transaction if they come from different sources. ie: an app coupon, a newspaper coupon, an online coupon. Granted some stores are bigger sticklers than others...but it's worth checking out! Also if you happen to work at a school, you can get a teachers discount card. Check it out, it can save a lot of money.

Does anybody else have any other tips about getting crafting supplies? I'd love to hear from you!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...