Thursday, May 31, 2012

Breaking Bread

Who doesn't have a slew of recipes they have cut out of magazines or newspapers with the intention of making them all?  I'm a serial cutter outer myself and have recipes all over the house! Last week I decided to make soda bread from I recipe that I have been staring at for many many years. Since making bread always intimidates me I was surprisingly pleased with how easy it was!  I made the green onion and cheese version and it was tasty and pretty to look at!

Soda Bread
2 cups all purpose flour 500ml
1cup whole wheat flour 250ml
2 tbsp flax or sesame seeds 25ml
2 tbsp granulated sugar 25ml
1tsp each baking soda and salt 5ml
1-1/2 cups buttermilk 375ml
1/4cup vegetable oil 50 ml

Topping
1 tbsp all purpose flour 15 ml

1. in a large bowl whisk together dry ingredients
2. whisk together wet ingredients and add to dry ingredients; stir with fork until soft dough forms.
3. On lightly floured surface and with floured hands press dough into ball; knead lightly 10 times. place on a greased baking sheet; gently pat out dough into 6inch (15cm) circle
4. sprinkle with flour and then score a large x on top using a serrated knife
5. bake in center of 375F(190C) for 45 mins or until golden and tester comes out clean.

Variation
Cheese and Onion soda bread
Omit the flax seeds and topping. Add 1 cup (250ml) shredded old cheddar, 1/4 cup (50ml) chopped green onion and a pinch of cayenne pepper to the dry ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...