Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Spool Bunting

As anybody who sews knows, there is always going to be scraps and such left over. There will also be spools. Lovely, quirky shaped spools that if you're a hoarder frugal person like me, you have to do something with. What's a girl to do? Make a cute little bunting to go in her nieces new big girl room.

This is a project with an easiness score of:
Even you people who claim to not be crafty...you can do this and it will turn out pintrest worthy.

Don't believe me? Try it and then tell me I'm wrong.

First things first, what do you need?
Spools--either hoarded or from the craft store...pretty sure they sell them there.
Fabric scraps--coordinating, matchy-matchy or just whatever you feel like. (Yarn could work too!)
Yarn/twine
Buttons--with big enough holes for the yarn to go through
Something sticky--double stick tape/hot glue/scotch tape



The process is simple:
-Get out the spools and measure them. If they are all the same you only need to measure one, otherwise you'll have to measure each one.
-Cut out fabric strips that are long enough to go all the way around each spool and overlap a bit
-Glue/tape the fabric strips on to the spools. I usually use two pieces--one for attaching the strip to the spool and the another to secure the other end.

-Next cut out the yarn--make it a little longer than you want the finished project to be
make longer=difficult vs. cut shorter=easy
-I start by putting a spool in the middle and then lacing a button on either side of the spool. After in the right place, I put a knot on the outside of each of the buttons. This keeps the spools in one place without going up and down the yarn.
-Move outward on the yarn in different increments according to preference.
I used up all the spools I have and voila--a spool bunting!

Questions? Let me know and I'll try to explain it better.


I hung it up with another bunting I had made on the stairway banister. This could be hung up as a window decoration, mantel decoration,


The other coincidence is that this could be a Valentines day bunting. Make them in ever color to go with the other holidays....the possibilities are endless! Make one for your sewing friends as a gift, decorate your own crafty space.

I would love to see if you try it!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...