Thursday, March 29, 2012

Make Do March Day 29...tummy treats

Bah.....total food failure yesterday!!  Fruit leather turned into crunchy fruit bits and while the PB and J pancakes (that Storman was drooling over on the food channel) were tasty I couldn't get a handle on my pan temp so lets just say they were less than golden. Sigh, my food fairy Godmother apparently was taking a nap!
   I didn't bother taking a picture of my embarrassingly dark pancakes but they were some of the tastiest pancakes I have ever made. Most of the pancakes I make end up dense and flat so I was ecstatic when they turned out super fluffy and light! And even better my fussy toddler inhaled them so I will definitely be making them again, HEREs the recipe.

My first attempt at fruit leather involved a cookie sheet, saran wrap, applesauce and an oven at 275 for 30 mins then leave it in the oven for 8hrs til it dried.  But after the saran wrap melted to the edge of the applesauce 15mins in I didn't care to continue. I know what you're thinking saran wrap and an oven, really? According to Super Baby Foods and a blog a can't remember it should have worked...bah. Take 2 involved a silpad, applesauce and an oven at 200 for 3hrs.  Result - tasty fruit bits because I may or may not have forgotten about it and perhaps layered it on too thin. However since we all enjoyed the tasty fruit bits I decided to try, try again and while not perfect I avoided tasty fruit bits and was (gasp)able to roll my quasi fruit leather!  It was still  crisper at the edges than I'd like even with layering it thicker and I confess I may have forgotten about it again while sewing, oops. They're so easy to forget about as they don't let off that nice scorched cookie smell to remind you that the buzzer went off :).  Next time I'm cooking down and pureeing some frozen fruit I have been neglecting in the freezer and hoping I will get a more even bake. I'm thinking the applesauce may be too watery. I'll keep you posted. Here are my results.

take 3
it rolled up!!! even with the crispy edges, woo hoo
my rolled quasi fruit leathers
(please excuse my pictures
food photographer I will never be!)

Here's hoping your next food foray turns out better than mine did!
Happy Make doing!!
Nathania

Oh and by the way, remember my baby quilt? The binding is halfway done (told you it would take me forever). Sarah says it's because I'm so anal and while I'm not sure I appreciate that comment perhaps at times I do resemble it :). You might get to see the finished product depending on how much I can do tonight.  Ta ta for now.

4 comments:

  1. Fruit leather is something I have always Wanted to try . The Suran wrap thing Sounds very odd , I would have thought parchment paper or wax paper. I may have to try it sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a dryer thing (can't recall the name right now) at a yard sale and thought I would give it a go. When my husband saw that it was plugged in and going for hours, he told me that I could buy fruit for less than I was spending on electricity... so, next yard sale it went. I thought it would be great, sigh. I haven't ever tried fruit leather. I have about 11 apple trees and that may be another way to use up the fruit. We already do juice with the windfalls, pie, applesauce, cider, etc. but fruit leather sounds fun. Thanks for the push.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pancakes sound fun! I might have to make them for my kiddos for dinner tomorrow night... Darryl is working so it will be a free for all! lol I will serve them with nutella, jam, and peanut butter. I am thinking I will need more than one batch though....

    ReplyDelete
  4. definitely double or triple it because one batch only made 6. nutella would taste so delicious on them. i may have to get some
    nathania

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...